Immunotherapy in CT | Adonai Optimal Health and Wellness Services
At Adonai Optimal Health and Wellness Facility in Madison, Connecticut we have experience in several Naturopathic and Integrative Wellness treatments. As a Naturopathic Physician in CT Dr. Whitton specializes in Immunotherapy in CT. Here is some information you should know about the benefits of Immunotherapy.
What is Immunotherapy?
Immunotherapy is treatment that uses certain parts of a person’s immune system to fight diseases such as cancer. This can be done in a few ways:
- Stimulating your immune system to work harder or smarter to attack cancer cells
- Giving you immune system components, such as man-made immune system proteins
Immunotherapy includes treatments that work in different ways. Some boost the body’s immune system overall. Others help train the immune system to attack cancer cells specifically.
Immunotherapy works better for some types of cancer than for others. It’s used by itself for some of these cancers, but for others it seems to work better when used with other types of treatment.
What are some types of cancer immunotherapy?
The main types of immunotherapy now being used to treat cancer include:
- Monoclonal antibodies: These are man-made versions of immune system proteins. Antibodies can be very useful in treating cancer because they can be designed to attack a very specific part of a cancer cell.
- Immune checkpoint inhibitors: These drugs basically take the ‘brakes’ off the immune system, which helps it recognize and attack cancer cells.
- Cancer vaccines: Vaccines are substances put into the body to start an immune response against certain diseases. We usually think of them as being given to healthy people to help prevent infections. But some vaccines can help prevent or treat cancer.
- Other, non-specific immunotherapies: These treatments boost the immune system in a general way, but this can still help the immune system attack cancer cells.